FIRST 5 HELP CENTER
What is First 5?
First 5 is a mobile device app developed by Proverbs 31 Ministries, designed to transform your time with God. First 5 was specifically designed to greet you with a short teaching in God’s Word first, before you get distracted by social media and everything else screaming for your attention. It will equip you to better study and know the Word of God.
Is it just another daily devotion?
No. Our goal is to take you through an in-depth experience of the Bible. Unlike our daily devotions, the First 5 app will have teaching content Monday through Friday with either an audio or video teaching every Saturday.
What translation is used? Will there be a way to switch translations?
The app utilizes the ESV translation, but we’ll soon be adding six different translations of the Bible in the app.
Is the content available in different languages?
At this time the content is currently only available in English. We are exploring the cost of providing additional languages in the future.
What do I get every day?
- One passage of scripture a day – We unpack books of the Bible using one passage of scripture per day. So, as we study together, you will be going through every verse of the Bible. My Moments – My Moments allows you to privately respond to each day’s First 5 teaching. Add a short response into the “My Moment” box at the end of each teaching, applying what you just learned and see your collection of responses by visiting the “My Moments” tab on your profile page.
- More Moments – More Moments are provided for you to go deeper into each day’s teaching beyond the First 5 minutes. You have the option to visit them right away or set a reminder to return when you have more time. Under More Moments, you will also see the Major Moment for each day’s teaching.
- Weekend Teachings – Each Saturday, you’ll receive a teaching from the First 5 writing team. There are two different formats for weekend teachings, depending on the plan in which you are studying. Some plans will have a weekend video, while others will have an audio-only teaching including a transcript. Both teachings offer an additional and unique teaching from that week’s passage of scripture and invite you into the conversation to discuss a little bit of what we’re learning.
What is the Experience Guide?
For each First 5 study, you’ll have the opportunity to purchase an Experience Guide to help you understand the major themes and storylines that make the books of the Bible so unique. Each Experience Guide is beautifully designed to enhance your daily study time with First 5. It will equip you to cross-reference scriptures throughout the Bible, to reflect on the passage and to apply what you have studied to your life.
Do I have to order the Experience Guide to use First 5?
The Experience Guide is completely optional and can serve as a stand-alone study guide.
First 5 Groups
What are First 5 Groups?
First 5 groups feature were developed to provide a more engaging community experience for our First 5 friends. This feature allows any participant to create their own public or private group to enhance their daily study and join in teaching discussions.
How many people can join a group?
Group membership is capped at 50 members. Group members may leave a group at any time. If you are a group manager, you must appoint another member as manager before you can leave a group.
How do I invite someone to my group?
There are two ways to invite someone to join a First 5 group:
- Option 1: Find friends that are already using First 5 with the “Find Friends” feature found within the Friends tab of your profile page.
- Option 2: Send your unique group invite code to friends outside the app via email, SMS message or any other messaging system.
How do I update my notifications for a specific group?
Do I need to join a group to complete my daily teaching?
No, you do not need to be a group member to access or complete your daily First 5 teaching
Are groups moderated by First 5 or Proverbs 31 Ministries?
No, First 5 groups are not led or actively monitored by the P31 staff members or F5 writers. They are meant to be a personal experience created and managed by individual F5 readers.
Are group comments or posts endorsed by First 5 or Proverbs 31 Ministries?
The comments, discussions and images posted within First 5 groups are not sponsored, administered, or endorsed by First 5 and Proverbs 31 Ministries.
Other group oversight and moderation notes:
- Moderation of group content will primarily be the responsibility of the group managers. If you are a group manager, you can remove group members or delete group comments if needed. To become a group manager you must either be the group originator or be assigned to the role group manager by the group originator. There can be multiple group managers in each group.
- Any post that has been flagged 3 times will automatically be hidden from view in the app.
- Content posted in both Private and Public groups is subject to review and moderation by the First 5 team.
What if I can’t keep up or have to start in the middle of one of the books of the Bible?
You will be able to follow along and/or catch up through the app or First5.org. No matter where you jump in, you will be able to catch up and be a part of that study. Past studies will be archived in the app and available for you to read at your own pace.
Can I take notes directly in First 5?
Yes. You can select any portion of a First 5 teaching to add a note. You can also highlight, bookmark and share selected portions of the text. Review your notes and other teaching activity through in your Profile.
Can I save notes I’ve created outside of the app?
Yes. Highlights, bookmark and notes can be exported from the First 5 app to your device.
Can I share portions of a teaching with my First 5 group?
Yes. Select any portion of the daily teaching and use the “Share” feature to post to your First 5 group, or share the teaching excerpt outside of the app.
First 5 Audio
Are transcripts available for the audio teachings?
We are currently working on making this available in the near future.
How do I listen to the audio teaching?
Each Saturday, there will be an audio teaching available in the First 5 app from the First 5 writing team. It will be as simple as opening the app and selecting play.
Are the audio teachings available to download?
At this time, the teachings are only available to stream through the app.
Are the audio teachings accessible as a podcast?
No, they are not on any podcast platform. The audio teachings are unique teachings based on the Scripture covered that week and are exclusively available in the First 5 app.
Do I have to stay in the app to listen to the teaching?
Yes, you will need to stay in the app to listen to the teaching.
Who are the First 5 writers?
To learn more about our writers, check out their bios in the app or at first5.org.
First 5 Community
How do I find friends in First 5?
Use the “Find People” feature within the Friends tab of your Profile page to search First 5 for friends. You can also accept or deny friend requests made by other members within your Friends tab.
How can I engage and share with others?
Connect with people all over the world who are also giving their First 5 minutes to God by commenting under each First 5 teaching. Comments are visible to everyone using the app and are a great way to engage with and learn from the First 5 community. Easily share the First 5 image and teaching by tapping the share icon located on the left of each image, at the bottom.
Can I contact other First 5 members?
Yes. Click on a member’s profile image and you’ll be able to email them privately. All emails are private when sent to the recipient which protects your identity and privacy. You can also tag a friend directly in any comment by using the @ symbol. You must be friends with the reader, both be members of the same group, or have previously commented on the same teaching to use the tag feature.
Why can’t I tag my friend in a post?
To tag someone in a post you must already be friends, both be members of the same group, or both have previously commented on the same teaching. To add a friend, use the “Find People” feature found in your Friends tab on your profile page.
How do I edit my personal info after creating a user account?
To edit your profile you must be signed in to your account and follow these steps from the main menu:
- Tap the Profile button in the navigation bar at the bottom of your screen
- Select the Account tab
- Make any desired edits, scroll, and hit “Save Changes.”
Why do I need to create an account?
An account is not required to read the Daily First 5 Teaching via the app; however, a number of additional features do require an account. You must have a profile to:
- Leave comments
- Join a group
- Track plan progress
- Respond to My Moments
- Download our beautifully designed lock screens
- Add friends and tag friends
First 5 Notifications
Why is my reminder silent?
In order to ensure that you hear your First 5 reminders, follow these quick and easy steps.
Apple Device (iOS)
- Flip your mute switch on the left side of your device to allow sounds
- Have the volume turned up
- Make sure your device is not on Do Not Disturb
- Make sure all notifications are turned ON in your phone setting for the First 5 app (settings > notifications > scroll and select First 5)
- Have the volume turned up loud enough to hear
Can I control how the app notifies me when someone replies to a comment I’ve made?
Yes, you can update your reply settings to have these types of notifications turned on or off on your Account page within your Profile.
Can I control how the app notifies me when someone tags me in a comment?
Yes, you can update your tag settings to have these types of notifications turned on or off on your Account page within your Profile.
How do I update my notifications for a specific group?
Use the settings icon found in the top left corner of your group’s home page to turn the notifications for that group on or off.
App and Device Details
What devices support the First 5 app?
What if I don’t have a compatible mobile device?
All of the plans are available at First5.org. At this time the app is only compatible with iOS and Android. We hope to be able to meet the needs of all mobile devices and maybe even a desktop version. This is being explored by our development team. Please stay tuned for further updates.
How can I support First 5 financially?
You can submit a donation by visiting our First 5 Give page.